CIE - Lighting Quality & Energy Efficiency
|Event Date/Time: Apr 23, 2014||End Date/Time: Apr 26, 2014|
The CIE, which recently celebrated its centenary, is the oldest and most respected international scientific and standards organization in the field of light and lighting. It is totally committed to the development of energy efficient lighting technologies and standards, but without sacrificing lighting quality, the safety and security of human well-being, the environment and the economy.This objective can be achieved through the intelligent use of new technologies and a scientific understanding of the varied human needs for different types of lighting in different settings:
- A more efficient use of daylight, augmented with the use of more efficient lamps and the latest lighting technology, should enable us to save energy without sacrificing quality of lighting.
- Findings in medical science reveal that light plays important roles in maintaining optimum regulation of biological rhythms and hormones on a daily basis. While this knowledge can be used to positive effect, it also shows us that ill-conceived lighting can be detrimental to health and safety.
- Darkness has many benefits: electronic control systems enable us to adapt light levels and timing of artificial lighting to direct need, and thus minimize both energy consumption and unintended effects on living systems.
Good lighting brings safety, security and a better quality of life to all but needs to be supplied in a task-dependent manner, that is of a quantity and quality appropriate to the task, and with the minimal use of resources.
As President of the CIE, and as Conference President, we are proud to present CIE 2014 “Lighting Quality & Energy Efficiency” as a unique forum for discovering the latest developments and results from the lighting world. The meeting will be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from April 23-26, 2014. I invite you to join me there in the effort to enhance lighting quality and reduce energy consumption worldwide.
We look forward to a fascinating and informative meeting in Kuala LumpurCIE 2014 will highlight topics in:
- Daylight, Lighting Systems and Energy Saving
- Light and the Visual Perception of Quality
- Photobiological Effects
- Characterizing lighting systems