Education and Social Justice
Organization: St. Xavier's College of Goa, India and the Center for Global Development at St. John's University NY
|Event Date/Time: Jul 22, 2013||End Date/Time: Jul 23, 2013|
|Registration Date: May 15, 2013|
|Early Registration Date: May 15, 2013|
|Abstract Submission Date: May 15, 2013|
Call for Participation
A conference on:
EDUCATION AND SOCIAL JUSTICE
CALL FOR PAPERS
The International Centre, Goa, India
July 22-23, 2013
A Collaboration of St. Xavier's College, Goa
the Council for Social Justice and Peace, Archdiocese of Goa,
and the Center for Global Development, St. John's University, New York
The globalized economy is characterized by both social enhancement and social disruptions due to economic, political, and demographic change. We are now seeing a crisis of sustainable development and educational disparities within and across national boundaries. This presents very real challenges to academia. In order to address these changes in our society, the academic community is compelled to integrate the notions and values of social justice in all academic disciplines.
St. Xavier's College of Goa, India, is collaborating with the Council for Social Justice and Peace of the Archdiocese of Goa, and the Center for Global Development at St. John's University (New York, USA) to organize a conference on
EDUCATION AND SOCIAL JUSTICE
The International Centre in Goa is an ideal setting for addressing broad themes of social justice in education, though paper presentations and panel sessions. Participants will have opportunities to consider questions as
- How does social justice in education prepare students of all ages to fully engage with family, the workplace, and society at large?
- How do conceptions of social justice in education vary across cultures?
- What are some of the challenges for articulating and integrating social justice values and orientations within and across academic disciplines?
- What are some strategies for incorporating notions of social justice into pedagogical praxis?
- Are there risks associated with adopting explicit social justice stances in the academy?
- How can various disciplines incorporate Social Justice themes in the syllabi (e. g. How can Social Justice be incorporated in the teaching of Biology?)
- How can social justice concepts within world religions and ethical traditions relate to the general ethics of a globalized society?
- What role can the Roman Catholic social justice tradition play in the academic life of a Catholic university?
- How can the Roman Catholic commitment to truth and justice be preserved in the curriculum of a Roman Catholic university?
- How do you incorporate issues of social justice in your classroom and in your syllabus?
We encourage participants to engage with these and related themes in20 minutes paper presentation and panel proposals. However, paper presentations and panels are not required for participation in this conference. Feel free to submit complete panels.
Selected papers will be published in a special edition of Veritias et Equitas – ( an online publication)
Please submit your abstracts for papers and panels to:
Dr. Craig Baron, St. John’s University, NY, USA,
Dr. Maria Fonseca, St. Xavier’s College, Goa, India,
Abstract Submission: May 15th
Submission of completed papers for publication in Veritas et Equitas: September 1st
Rps. 2000.00 (for participants from India)
US $ 100.00
Rps 1000.00 (for participants from India)
International Centre, Goa, India (individual participant responsibility)
Contact: Kavita Dessai:
Single Room ( 1 May – 30 Sept ) : Rs. 2169 /- ( Breakfast Complimentary)
Double Room ( 1 May – 30 Sept ) : Rs. 2540 /- ( Breakfast Complimentary)
* Discount will be offered in case of bulk booking ( for 10 + Rooms ).