PCMA Convening Leaders 2013 (PCMA2013)
Organization: Professional Convention Management Association
|Event Date/Time: Jan 13, 2013||End Date/Time: Jan 16, 2013|
|Registration Date: Jan 16, 2013|
The Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) is excited to announce the site for its 2013 Annual Meeting. Orlando will host the 2013 Convening Leaders. The last time the PCMA Annual Meeting was in Orlando was in 1999.
"We are extremely excited to work with Orlando for this future meeting," said Deborah Sexton, PCMA president and CEO. "Orlando put together a terrific package and so much has happened in Orlando since PCMA was last there. It's certainly time to return and see the convention center expansion, the new hotel development and all of the great things Orlando has grown to offer. It's clear that Orlando is very serious about winning our members' business and the opportunity for everyone to see the latest is great."
The Annual Meeting will take place in Orlando Jan. 13th - 16th, 2013.
"Orlando is thrilled to welcome this prestigious industry event back to our great destination. PCMA has a long-standing reputation for and commitment to providing new ways to stimulate creative thinking for the industry and with Orlando's creative heritage, there's no better location for inspiration, imagination and innovation. Holding the PCMA 2013 Annual Meeting in Orlando is a win-win for everyone and certainly an honor for us," said Gary Sain, president and CEO of the Orlando/Orange County CVB.
"The Orange County Convention Center and our partner, the Orlando/Orange County Convention and Visitors Bureau, are honored that we have been chosen as the host venue for the prestigious PCMA 2013 Annual Meeting," said Tom Ackert, executive director of the OCCC. "We look forward to supporting our partners in our joint mission of serving and growing the meetings industry."
Each year, the PCMA Annual Meeting attracts more than 3,000 attendees. At the 2010 PCMA Annual Meeting in Dallas, Convening Leaders continued its growth. The meeting is touted as one of the industry's most comprehensive educational and networking events. The economic impact of the PCMA Annual Meeting is traditionally felt for years in the host city, as PCMA members often return to host cities for their future meetings.
For more information about PCMA and the PCMA Annual Meeting, visit pcma.org.
Thomas L. Friedman is an internationally renowned author, reporter, and columnist—the recipient of three Pulitzer Prizes and the author of six bestselling books. Friedman is a foreign affairs expert who has been called “the country’s best newspaper columnist.” Friedman has been covering some of the world’s biggest stories for The New York Times since 1981. Don't miss your chance to hear one of the country's top .
Claire Smith has built a strong reputation as an involved and informed leader in the Global Meetings Industry for over 20 years. As the Vice President, Sales & Marketing at the Vancouver Convention Centre, Claire is responsible for strategic business development, leading and directing the sales and marketing team, as well as positioning the facility in the global marketplace. Through various industry affiliations, Claire has been a featured speaker and session facilitator at meeting industry conferences in both North America and Europe. She is sits on the EIBTM Advisory Board, Chairs the PCMA Annual Meeting Program Committee and the GMIC Board of Directors. Be sure to check out her on new pricing at convention centers.
Nancy Morrell Swanson is President of Global Marketing Services, Inc. (GMS), founded in 1993. GMS is a marketing company whose mission is to help organizations develop stronger relationships with their customers through ongoing communication. GMS’s core business is the formation and facilitation of customer advisory boards and focus groups. The company manages the boards for twelve major Convention and Visitors Bureaus as well as six major hotel companies. Prior to establishing her own business, Nancy spent twenty-one years in the resort segment of the industry as a hotel Sales & Marketing executive. Independent planners join Nancy on Tuesday and learn the best ways to .
Stéphane Garelli is widely considered to be one of the top lecturers on economic and business matters. He has a unique ability to analyze and describe the world economic environment as it evolves, and to draw conclusions about what changes in the world economy actually mean for companies and individuals alike. Find out what the recent changes in the mean for you.
Joanne L. Smikle moves minds with insightful keynotes, workshops and retreats. An expert on Leadership, Collaboration and Customer Satisfaction, she delivers learning that lasts. Her high energy style blends substance, humor and practicality…you will leave with ideas you actually use! Joanne uses the real-world experiences drawn from her thriving consulting practice to develop case studies, assessments and other interactive tools that make her sessions memorable and meaningful. Learn to with Joanne on Tuesday.
Gina Rudan is the President of Genuine Insights Inc. a conntemporary professional development and training practice whose mission is to leverage the genius within every individual and organization. Before launching her own practice, Gina held management positions at Fortune 500 companies including Avon Produc ts and PR Newswire, where she was responsible for spearheading multicultural and international marketing efforts.
Join Morten Hansen, co author with Jim Collins of Great by Choice, for a General Session focused on a surprising look at what it takes for you and your organization to succeed in our fast paced, always changing world. Hansen, Collins and a team of 20 researchers spent nine years studying companies that rose to greatness despite difficult environments and rapid shifts.....and how they differed from companies that floundered. Get in on their provocative findings and discover how you and your organization can thrive in uncertain times. Learn to at the Opening General Session.
At that crucial moment when it's most important to be convincing nine out of 10 times we miss the mark. Join Oren Klaff, author of Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal, for a step by step process for getting people's attention, communicating your ideas succinctly, and winning their support or business. Whether you're a supplier or planner, student or industry veteran, you'll walk away with a scientific approach for persuading others and sealing the deal. Become a with Oren on Tuesday.
David C. Novak is chairman and CEO of Yum! Brands, Inc. Novak has been recognized as one of the world’s “30 Best CEOs” by Barron’s, one of the “Top People in Business” by FORTUNE and one of the “100 Best-Performing CEOs in the World” by Harvard Business Review. He is also the recipient of the national 2008 Woodrow Wilson Award for Corporate Citizenship. Learn to from this top CEO at our closing general session.
Saturday, January 12
11:00 AM - 4:00 PM
12:00 PM - 5:00 PM
12:30 PM - 4:30 PM
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Sunday, January 13
7:00 AM - 11:30 AM
7:00 AM - 1:00 PMHospitality Helping Hands (Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida, Inc.)
Kick off your Convening Leaders experience by giving back. Serve breakfast to residents, work on arts and crafts projects with the children, help clean... More
7:00 AM - 1:30 PMPCMA Golf Tournament
Shot gun start. Scramble format at Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate. Includes breakfast and awards lunch barbeque.
7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
7:30 AM - 1:00 PMHospitality Helping Hands (Clean the World Foundation, Inc.)
Kick off your Convening Leaders experience by giving back. Help save millions of lives around the globe and join in this global hygiene revolution to... More
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM
12:00 PM - 4:00 PMPCMA Student Union
Students: don’t miss out an interactive day full of résumé and cover letter clinics, mock interviews, mega-mentoring, and tips for success from industry professionals.
12:00 PM - 4:30 PM
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
3:30 PM - 4:30 PM
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
6:30 PM - 8:30 PMOpening Reception: Celebrate. Connect. Care.
With entertainment and experiences for all – you’ll meet amazing dolphins at Key West and sea turtles at the all-new Turtle Trek... More
8:30 PM - 12:00 AM
Monday, January 14
6:45 AM - 8:00 AM
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
8:30 AM - 10:00 AM
9:45 AM - 10:30 AM
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
10:30 AM - 11:30 AMInternational Meetings: Critical Legal Issues
International meetings present unique challenges for planners and sponsors. Critical issues such as money transfers, terrorism and diseases, security,... More
- Identify the most critical legal issues unique to international meetings.
- Discover how contracts can differ from country to country, and how to adapt to those differences.
- Explore why disputes are particularly challenging to resolve in international settings, and the steps to take to level the playing field.
- Joshua Grimes, Attorney at Law, Grimes Law Offices, LLC
10:30 AM - 11:30 AMStart Your Career Off Right with a Strong Personal Brand
Looking for a competitive edge to help land your first job or get on the right track for advancement? It's never too early for students and new professionals... More
- Pinpoint why a strong personal brand is important in differentiating yourself at the beginning of your career.
- Identify qualities of a solid personal brand.
- Understand how to hone your talents and skills to make yourself more marketable.
10:30 AM - 11:30 AMMinimizing Financial Volatility and Managing Cash Flow
Grab a seat for this fact-filled session on how to reduce your organization's financial risk and improve cash flow planning in these challenging economic... More
- Detect signs of financial stress from customers and suppliers.
- Protect your organization with risk mitigation strategies.
- Create a system for proactive cash flow planning despite the cyclical nature of the meetings business.
10:30 AM - 11:30 AMMaking Meaningful Connections between Exhibitors and Attendees
It's no secret both exhibitors and attendees are evaluating their trade show participation more closely. You've got to find out exactly what they expect... More
- Explore the best ways to find out what's most important to your stakeholders now.
- Develop new opportunities for increasing the number and intensity of interactions between exhibitors and attendees.
- Communicate your new value proposition to all parties in a way that entices them to participate.
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMUsing Collaborative Technology to Improve the Teamwork Process in the Classroom
Virtual offices and workplaces scattered around the globe are becoming more common every day. Faculty members: Give your students a leg up in this competitive... More
- Determine how to establish rules of engagement for working on team assignments.
- Discover how to use wiki technology to improve the teamwork process.
- Explore ways to evaluate individual contributions to team projects.
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMThe Art of Engagement: Making Your Conferences Extraordinary, Not Extra Ordinary
Let's face it: If you want to win attendees' time, attention and money, you've got to give them something extraordinary. The key is engagement. Explore... More
- Build deeper levels of engagement into your meeting to generate a more active, committed following.
- Leverage emotional touch points that will make your event resonate more.
- Achieve results regardless of your budget or current event size.
- Greg Fuson, Principal, Artful Engagement
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMVirtual and Hybrid Events: Getting (and Staying) In-The-Know
If you're thinking of adding a virtual or hybrid event to your meeting offerings - or simply want to catch up on this rapidly changing arena - this session... More
- Identify the range of virtual and hybrid tools now available and their costs.
- Improve the quality of your virtual and hybrid events.
- Utilize virtual and hybrid events to maximize your face-to-face meetings.
10:30 AM - 11:45 AM
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMTop 10 Tips for Effective Partnerships between Independent Planners and Suppliers
Wishing there were standard operating procedures for relationships between the increasing number of independent planners and CSMs at hotels, convention... More
- Define what questions need to be asked at turnover from sales.
- Identify everyone's roles, responsibilities, and who has authority for what.
- Outline financial arrangements and any hot buttons for the end-user clients.
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMConvene Presents: What CME Grantmakers Want.....and Need
Are you frustrated by the arduous grant-writing process, lack of available funds, the impact of government regulation...or all of the above? Don't miss... More
- Learn what separates a winning grant proposal from a rejected one.
- Discern what activities are most appropriate for certain types of grants.
- Explore the future of medical grantmaking and how to position your organization for success.
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMThe Experience Matters: Your Experimental Meetings Laboratory
Welcome to your very own experimental meetings laboratory! Rotate through four participatory exercises and room sets to experience firsthand exciting... More
- Witness firsthand how design can be a barrier or facilitator to the attendee experience.
- Experience ways to move from education sessions that are expert-centric to participant-centric.
- Practice two behaviors that will help you become more innovative.
10:30 AM - 11:45 AMGamification: Turning Attendees into Participants
Incorporating games into your meeting can encourage networking and engage attendees on a deeper level, all while generating positive sentiment towards... More
- Explore how simple gaming mechanics can improve the attendee experience and help you meet event goals.
- Determine what web-based or mobile apps are appropriate for your event.
- Identify how best to incorporate exhibitors and sponsors into your game.
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM
1:30 PM - 12:00 AMConvene Presents: A Conversation with C2-MTL Co-Founder Jean-Francois Bouchard
First-time business conference C2-MTL hit it out of the ballpark last year, causing everyone from young hipsters covered in tattoos to corporate execs... More
- Identify areas of C2-MTL's content and experience that were truly unique.
- Explain how event organizers overcame challenges in bringing their innovative ideas to life.
- Gain inspiration for applying innovative concepts to your own meetings.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMWhat Millennials Really Want from Meetings and Events
Designing meetings and events that attract new and emerging leaders and inspire them to return will be critical to your future success. Explore findings... More
- Gain insights into what makes this generation tick, including differences between younger and older Millennials.
- Acquire strategies to effectively attract Millennials to your meetings.
- Design meetings that appeal to Millennials and incent them to return.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMHousing Options Today
Everyone appears to be in on the housing game these days....but how do you make sense of the options and what they mean in today's marketplace? Join our... More
- Gain a deeper understanding of the pros and cons of three common housing models.
- Weigh the budgetary factors of each.
- Explore issues unique to using outsourced services, including how to gain buy-in.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMManaging Your Time and Energy for Peak Performance…..and Peace of Mind
Are you the Queen or King Bee, or the Worker Bee? Join this interactive conversation about how to manage your time and energy in order to boost your... More
- Explore the art and science of balancing your life and your work.
- Discover new techniques for managing time and energy.
- Examine how to guide your team in following workable practices that inspire them, work for you, and fulfill your organization goals.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMMoving from a Scheduler of Speakers to a Content Curator-Strategist
Some have declared the call for speaker proposals dead. After all, how do you guarantee what gets submitted actually meets your attendees' needs? Some... More
- Compare and contrast a content aggregator with a content curator-strategist.
- Identify five steps for transitioning from a traditional role to a more progressive one.
- Apply content curation to positively impact your event and its bottom line.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMJust When You Think You've Got the Perfect Contract...
Experienced meeting professionals have seen it all...suppliers' markets, planners' markets, attrition, weather disasters, terrorism threats....or have... More
- Explain several rarely anticipated issues and how they can threaten a meeting's success.
- Become familiar with sample contract clauses that address them.
- Work with vendors/planners to incorporate appropriate language into your contracts.
- Joshua Grimes, Attorney at Law, Grimes Law Offices, LLC
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMShow Me The Money: Creative Revenue Streams and Expense Management for Medical Meetings
Let's face it ...times are tight. And then some, if you're producing medical meetings. Join your colleagues for real-world strategies for creating new... More
- Gather new strategies and tips for generating new revenue streams.
- Explore ways to challenge and reduce some existing expenses.
- Incorporate new revenue streams and cost-savings into a three-year strategic plan.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PMOne Size Does Not Fit All: Personalizing Your Attendee Experience
Do you like to be treated personally or like you're just a face in the crowd? It's possible to personalize even the largest meetings for your attendees... More
- Expand your comfort level with creating personalized experiences, even at large events.
- Explore ways other meeting professionals have customized their events for attendees.
- Start making adjustments to your own meetings with the assistance of a fellow session participant.
- William Reed, Senior Vice President, Strategic Sales, Experient
1:30 PM - 2:45 PM
1:30 PM - 2:45 PMBrazil 101: Planning for Success in a New Strategic Destination
Heard some buzz about Brazil but don't know where to begin? A local representative and a meeting planner with experience there will walk you through the... More
- Examine Brazil's newly advanced economic status and benefits of holding a meeting there.
- Explore key issues and differences related to contracting.
- Explore key issues and differences related to communication.
1:30 PM - 2:45 PM
1:30 PM - 4:00 PMSuccessfully Managing Virtual Teams
Technology has made it easier than ever to work virtually, but don't let your team be one of the 50% that research shows is failing to meet their objectives!... More
- Understand the importance of trust when working with a virtual team.
- Realign communications tactics to better serve virtual employees.
- Balance your social and task orientation.
- Ann Max, President, Productive to the Max
1:30 PM - 5:00 PMCorporate Planners: Getting and Maintaining a Seat at the Table
Senior-level corporate planners will get to dig deep with an afternoon-long business simulation designed to help you get and maintain a seat at the table... More
- Determine how to get and maintain respect from C-level executives.
- Recognize what goes into transferring business strategy to meeting/event strategy.
- Explore how to communicate your vision for success.
2:30 PM - 4:30 PM
3:30 PM - 4:15 PMGetting Started in Convention/Event Services
Are you a student or new professional? Here's your chance to get the facts about getting started in the meetings industry. In a tight job market, the... More
- Summarize the role and responsibilities of convention services professionals.
- Discover some of the skills and attributes necessary for landing a job in convention services.
- Gain perspective into the field of convention services as a successful career.
3:30 PM - 4:30 PMWalk With Them or They Might Walk Away: Assessing Your Meeting from The Attendee Perspective
Many of us make adjustments each year to our Annual Meeting to refresh it, but do you take the time to step out of your own shoes and into your attendees'... More
- Discover a step-by-step process for assessing your meeting from the attendee perspective.
- Utilize appropriate metrics for benchmarking the attendee experience.
- Apply best practices to your evaluation and design process.
3:30 PM - 4:30 PMPresentation Technology: The Next Generation
Coming soon to a meeting room not far away....three of the newest and most promising presentation technologies! You won't want to miss demonstrations... More
- Develop a first-hand understanding of the newest innovations in presentation technology.
- Define the technical specs required for utilizing them at your meetings.
- Work with speakers to use new technologies to develop the most compelling presentations.
- Richard Reid, Vice President, Digital Services, Freeman
3:30 PM - 4:30 PMPlan Strategically for Your Meeting, Then Get Your Meeting in Your Organization's Strategic Plan
Conventions and trade shows are facing even greater scrutiny than ever before. Meeting professionals need to make sure they're planning strategically... More
- Understand the importance of strategic meeting planning.
- Determine the most appropriate template for your meeting's strategic plan.
- Use your strategic meeting planning to leverage a seat at your organization's strategic planning table.
- Dave Fellers, Association Consultant, Dave Fellers Consulting
3:30 PM - 4:30 PMHow to Re-Focus and Re-Energize in the Middle of the Day
Are you run ragged by a chaotic schedule, too much travel, or long hours onsite? In this session, you'll get to practice a technique that will restore... More
- Explore how to use the power of suggestion to motivate yourself on a subconscious level.
- Discover how to relieve stress and experience deep relaxation in just 20 minutes.
- Increase your ability to focus and be efficient.
- Tom DeLuca, Principal, DeLuca Enterprises, Inc.
3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
3:30 PM - 5:00 PMOpen Discussion for Medical Meeting Planners
You asked for it....you got it! After a similar successful session at Convening Leaders 2012, we'll be opening it up again for a private discussion between... More
- Gather input on what other planners are doing in response to Reg fees.
- Get potential solutions for working through Government Acts.
- Assess potential ways to attract global attendees.
3:30 PM - 5:00 PMUsing Emotional Intelligence to Get the Most Out of Your Career
Are you stuck at a career crossroads, not sure where to go? Would you like to stay at your current organization but advance to the next level? Or maybe... More
- Become more self-aware by assessing your skills, passions and motivators.
- Employ strategies to grow, change or re-invent yourself in your current job or on a new career path.
- Utilize tools to remove roadblocks to your success.
- Lisa Kappesser, President, EQ Coaching Solutions
3:30 PM - 5:00 PMNavigating Ethical Challenges
Perceptions of business ethics are changing, yet many ethics policies remain the same. What's more, everyone in the meetings and hospitality industry... More
- Examine different responses to ethical dilemmas.
- Discover how actions or inactions to ethical dilemmas affect employers, clients, and professional reputations.
- Develop appropriate questions to ask when improving your organization's ethics policy.
- Joan Eisenstodt, Chief Strategist , Eisenstodt Associates, LLC
3:30 PM - 5:00 PMCrisis Management at Home and Abroad
When it comes to crisis management, you can never be too prepared. And if your meeting is being held abroad, you'll need an extra layer of planning.... More
- Identify important elements of a good crisis management plan.
- Incorporate helpful risk management tools to have at your disposal.
- Consider additional elements and resources for your plan when involved with an event abroad.
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
9:00 PM - 12:00 AMParty With a Purpose (PWAP) – Hard Rock Live Orlando
Rock the night away at Hard Rock Live in support of the PCMA Education Foundation, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, and PCMA’s Network for the Needy.... More
9:00 PM - 12:00 AMParty With a Purpose (PWAP)-Donation Only
Rock the night away at Hard Rock Live in support of the PCMA Education Foundation, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, a
Supplier Events Guidelines to hosting a supplier event
- Organizations planning meetings or events during PCMA 2013 Convening Leaders in Orlando must submit the Supplier Event Form for approval prior to securing space and planning the event. In addition, submission of the Supplier Event Form constitutes agreement to the .
- Events may not be held, nor may transportation be scheduled during official PCMA Convening Leaders events listed below:
Sun, Jan. 13 12:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Mon, Jan. 14 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Tues, Jan. 15 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Wed, Jan. 16 7:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Recommended Schedule for Supplier Events
Sun, Jan. 13 8:30 p.m.- 12:00 a.m. Mon, Jan. 14 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Tues, Jan. 15 9:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- Traditionally most supplier client events are held Monday evening, making it difficult for planners to attend multiple events. Based on planner feedback, consider hosting your event Sunday or Tuesday.
Venues at Official Hotels & Orange County Convention Center You must complete the Supplier Event Form to request space. Requests may not be made directly to any PCMA hotel or the Orange County Convention Center. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Upon approval of your request, PCMA will secure appropriate space and confirm the space with you and the facility. You will then be put in direct contact with the facility to finalize all details and billing arrangements.
You must complete the Supplier Event Form to request space. PCMA will forward event requests to Visit Orlando and they will contact you to discuss locations. If you have any questions pertaining to venues contact: Carolyn Martin, CMP, Sr. Destination Manager, Visit Orlando via email at
Transportation cannot be scheduled during PCMA event times.
When planning transportation, consider your pickup and drop-off location. For example, after PCMA’s Opening Reception event on Sunday, have transportation pickup at Sea World at 8:30 p.m..
PCMA will contact you with specific transportation details as it pertains to pick up and drop off locations at official PCMA events.
Questions? Contact Mandi Kasper Williams, CMP, Specialist, Meetings & Events at 312.423.7287 or .