Reconnect Big Data - The Second Annual CASRAI International Conference
Venue: Fairmont Chateau Laurier
|Event Date/Time: Oct 16, 2013||End Date/Time: Oct 18, 2013|
|Early Registration Date: Sep 20, 2013||Time: 23:59:00 - (EST)|
Activities that aim to leverage knowledge discoveries and innovations with the goal of promoting general societal goods are a crucial element of complex, international research environments. While the particular knowledge and products generated through research is important for achieving this goal, such a diverse environment necessarily relies upon various kinds of infrastructure (scientific but also administrative) to enable the creative endeavors of researchers and innovators. Reconnect13 focuses on this dimension of research: the role of research administration practices and information sharing in supporting knowledge discoveries and innovations. Session topics and presentations will primarily be concerned with the ways in which incorporating recent developments in research data management can lead to a better and more connected research and innovation ecosystem.
We invite you to explore the conference’s three session streams below, which will feature panel discussions, workshops, and presentations from leading practitioners and researchers in a range of vocations and fields of study.
- William (Bill) Michener, Principal Investigator, DataONE
- Dr. Chris Greer, Associate Director, Program Implementation, IT Laboratory, NIST, Department of Commerce
- Coming soon: A SSHRC keynote to be announced soon on advancing digital scholarship and supporting infrastructure in Canada.
Please check the website as more speakers are confirmed.
CASRAI Reconnect 13 has three session streams, which will feature panel discussions, workshops, and presentations from leading practitioners and researches in a range of vocations and fields of study. These three streams are:
- Reconnect Big Data: The trend towards big data is impacting all areas of research. This track will explore number different approaches to managing research data, and discuss the policy, administrative, funding, and stewardship challenges involved in sharing data and preservation from a variety of disciplinary perspectives.
- Reconnect the Library: New content in today's library is largely digital in form, reshaping the nature of library collections and services. In this new environment, libraries are important producers of digital content through open access publishing and digitization initiatives as well as builders of digital collections. Discussions in this stream will make connections among scholarly communications, access to digital collections, data management and curation services, and digital preservation infrastructure. The topics in these areas will address policy, management, capacity, and technology challenges.
- Reconnect the Machine: Research Administration is a key enabler of research performance and thus discovery. In a recent article in University Affairs research administration was likened to the oil in the research machine.