Strength-based approaches to development: When best practices become business as usual
Organization: Reflective Learning - International
Venue: IMPERIAL ROYALE HOTEL
|Event Date/Time: Oct 22, 2013||End Date/Time: Oct 24, 2013|
2013 Unique International Conference
Conference Title: Strength-based approaches to development: When best practices become business as usual.
22nd - 24th October, 2013
Venue, Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala, Uganda
The conference will be opened by London 2012 Olympic Ugandan gold medallist Stephen Kiprotich and his personal story of overcoming adversity and finding his strengths. He ran not only to victory but into history in the men's marathon race at the London 2012 Olympics. He was Uganda's first gold medallist for 40 years. His achievement was deeply felt by the nation. He has risen from obscurity to national hero and become a role model for young people.
The conference theme will be addressed at the personal, organizational and community levels. Sessions will allow participants the opportunity to expand their understanding and use their strengths to turn ideas into positive future action.
Conference sub-themes are:
1: Building positivity and resilience for better performance
· Putting your strengths to work
· Resilience & resourcefulness at work
· Positive leadership development
2: Positive healthcare performance
· Reflective healthcare improvement conversations
· Enhancing children’s wellbeing
· Ageing well and with dignity
3: Building and sustaining thriving communities
· Empowering lives through participatory action
· Positive parenting and families
· Peace through sport
4: Social entrepreneurship in action
· Understanding social entrepreneurship
· Developing a social enterprise
· Leading and managing sustainable social enterprises
5: Strengths builders, what's the secret?
· Starting your learning journey
· Building and maintaining positive networks
· Positive monitoring and impact evaluation
The Conference Planning Committee is targeting, among others, development practitioners working with international and national organisations, civil society, public service, academic, research and development institutions and private sector organisations from any country.
We are inviting creative contributions on the general conference theme and sub-themes (e.g. performances, exhibitions, using the visual and creative arts and engaging in song and poetry). Some sessions will be devoted to more conventional paper presentations and roundtable discussions.
The conference sessions will be highly participatory and involving, giving each individual an opportunity to be heard. To be even more engaging and practical, there is going to be a one and half hour Strengths-Based Street Market during the conference. This will involve all conference participants, in developing the idea together, building the market with materials provided and then ‘trading’ (exchanging strengths, gifts, talents, successes, achievements and so on rather than buying and selling goods). The aim of the street market is to showcase and exchange, in a creative way, particular strengths and have the opportunity to develop new ones.
The conference AIMS:
1. Deliver insights and approaches for developing personal, organisational and community strength and resilience.
2. Demonstrate strategies and processes for creating better organisational performance, productivity and wellbeing.
3. Showcase how best practices can become business as usual.
4. Bring together experienced and committed people, to develop cross- disciplinary strength-based approaches that enables wisdom and practices to be taken to African communities and regions and beyond.
5. To publish the conference contributions in three forms. These have been confirmed. (a) An academic book (b) A Special Issue of an international, peer reviewed journal (c) A collection of high impact practical activities in a ‘thin book’ format.
Wherever you are from, whatever you do, you will be given a warm welcome, and opportunities to extend and enrich yourself in glorious surroundings that will inspire and rejuvenate.
PLEASE CONTACT US TO SECURE YOUR PLACE.
Please go to the RL-Uganda website for more details about REGISTRATION, costs and accommodation. Look for ‘Conference’ on the menu bar.