ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION WITH REFERENCE TO TYRE AND HUSK BURNING CHULA FROM PUFFED RICE MAN

Venue: any city

Location: any city, India

Event Date/Time: Apr 10, 2002 End Date/Time: Jun 10, 2002
Abstract Submission Date: Mar 30, 2002
Paper Submission Date: Apr 30, 2002
Report as Spam

Description

ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION WITH REFERENCE TO TYRE AND HUSK BURNING CHULA FROM PUFFED RICE MANUFACTURING UNITS.
A.M.Nagaraj ,Prof Y.Vrushabhendrappa & Dr. G.P.Prabhukumar
Asst professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Bapuji institute of Engineering and Technology
Davangere -577004
Karnataka, India
EXTENDED ABSTRACT

Puffed rice has occupied a special place among the ready-made foods. Where as the canned food and other industries grew in to large organized industries based on numerous technical inputs including automation, the story of puffed rice manufacturing has not been in the manner expected. Not much technological innovation has gone in to this area of production of puffed rice, which is still a labor-intensive sector. Most of the processing units in Karnataka , India are either small or cottage based industries. Puffed rice industries in general, needs technological up gradation to remain in market. Even today, puffed rice production in Karnataka is dependent on more on skill than on technology. Of the total production 80% of the puffed rice is consumed in domestic market and remaining 20% goes to export. Export expansion is directly linked to increased production, with out which no additional supply will be available for exports.

The present scenario of puffed rice manufacture needs through investigation. The process of manufacture need to be studied in depth keeping in view the following factors:

1. Energy consumption levels in the existing process
2. Air pollution levels because of burning of tyre, bio-mass etc.
3. Health hazards to workers because of their consistent exposure to thermal radiation and inhaling the exhaust gases from the chulas employed in those puffed rice manufacturing units.
4. Productivity levels.
5. It is reported (based on a preliminary survey) that the pollution levels are alarmingly high and people dwelling near by these manufacturing centers are reported to be suffering from various diseases like bronchitis, lung cancer etc.
6. Even the workers in these center are reported to be working in a hazardous environment leading to various diseases.
7. The productivity levels are reported to be low as inefficient systems of burning are being employed. Loose bio-mass and waste tyre are being utilized as source of energy. As a result, pollution levels are reported to be very high. Highly toxic exhaust gases are being diffused in to the atmosphere.

In order to identify the bottlenecks in achieving the higher efficiency and to provide efficient Chula with reduction in emission, this can accommodate to burn varieties of bio-mass locally available. Preliminary measurement were shown high amount of NOx and SO2 and CO2. It proposed to study the amount of dust emitted by these units.

A.M.Nagaraj
Asst Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering
Bapuij Institute of Engineering & Technology
Davangere 577 004, Karnataka, India.
Tel no: 91-8192-21461(o)
91-8192-21183(R)
Fax: 91-8192-23261
email:amn_samu@indiatimes.com

Venue