Second Annual Biotechnology Industry Conference (TWST Biotech2002)
Venue: The Princeton Club
|Event Date/Time: May 09, 2002||End Date/Time: May 09, 2002|
|Registration Date: May 09, 2002|
|Early Registration Date: Apr 01, 2002|
conference will discuss and explore cutting-edge technologies, treatments and vaccines under development, and the companies poised to exploit and profit from them. Learn which of the Biotech firms may become the next giants with the greatest investment potential.
In the exclusive setting of New York’s Princeton Club hear from an unrivaled panel of industry senior executives and financial experts and receive a comprehensive assessment of the state of the industry with specific emphasis on:
• What long and short-term opportunities does transgenic technology offer?
• New technologies may lead to the development of vaccines and other drugs for the prevention of disease as well as for treatment of
existing diseases. Who are the players and what are they doing to bring products to market?
• The new trend of deals among Biotech companies–buying up rivals with promising pipelines–how should they be evaluated?
• Big Pharma–Its strategy regarding the changing landscape of Biotech M&A.
• Bioterrorism and its affects on the industry and development of new vaccines.
8:00 AM REGISTRATION
9:00 AM CONFERENCE INTRODUCTION
9:15 AM ROUNDTABLE – THE BUSINESS OF STEM CELL
RESEARCH, TARGETED GENETIC MODIFICATION FOR
XENOTRANSPLANTATION & REGENERATIVE MEDICINE
• Growing restrictions on public funding of human embryo stem cell research: Its implications and opportunities.
• Can adult stem cell research make up for
government restrictions on human embryo stem
• What long and short-term opportunities does
transgenic technology offer?
• Who are the major players in transgenic
technology and how are they responding to
increased regulations and oversight?
David Ayares, PhD – COO, PPL Therapeutics
Dr. Michael Bishop, PhD – CEO, Infigen
Clayton Duncan – CEO, Incara Pharmaceuticals
Dr. Julia Greenstein – CEO, Immerge Biotherapeutics
Dr. Thomas B. Okarma – CEO, Geron
Moderator — Don Johnston, Group Publisher, BioWorld
9:45 AM AUDIENCE Q & A
10:00 AM ROUNDTABLE – INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
• Are existing legal protections adequate in a
world of genomics, proteomics and genetic
• What are the potential legal risks as the pace of scientific advancement increases?
• What should firms be doing to protect their
• Should ethical considerations be taken into
account in the protection of IP as we enter a
Paul Friedman – CEO, Incyte Genomics
Kevin Noonan, PhD – Partner, MBHB Law Firm
Moderator — Erik Kolb, Institutional Investor
10:30 AM BREAK
11:00 AM MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS ROUNDTABLE
• Last year's slide on Wall Street has opened up
another way of finding the next blockbuster -buying the company that makes it.
• How should the new trend of deals among
biotech companies - buying up rivals with
promising pipelines - be evaluated?
• Big Pharma - How does its strategy fit into the changing landscape of Biotech M&A?
Edwin Gordon - Managing Director, Punk, Ziegel & Co.
John Rhodes – Partner, Deloitte & Touche
Ian Smith – CFO, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Robert Van Norstrand – CFO, OSI Pharmaceuticals
Moderator – Robert Teitelman, Editor-in-Chief, Daily Deal
11:30 AM AUDIENCE Q & A
11:45 AM KEYNOTE SPEAKER – CARL FELDBAUM, PRESIDENT,
BIOTECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY ORGANIZATION
• Key political and regulatory forces and how
they impact the industry.
12:05 AM AUDIENCE Q & A
12:15 PM LUNCH
1:30 PM BEST INDUSTRY STOCK PICKS — INTERVIEW WITH TOP PORTFOLIO MANAGER
2:00 PM CEO ROUNDTABLE – NOVEL DISEASES, TREATMENTS & VACCINES UNDER DEVELOPMENT
• New technologies have the potential to allow
for the successful development of vaccines and
other drugs not only for the prevention of disease, but for the treatment of existing
diseases. Who are the players and what are they doing to bring products to market?
• Bioterrorism: Its impact on the industry and
development of new vaccines?
• In the next decade, which firms have the
greatest potential to cure certain diseases?
Dr. William Carter - CEO, Hemispherx BioPharm
Michael E. Hart – CEO, Allos Therapeutics
Dr. Christopher Henney — CEO, Dendreon
Edward Jacobs — CFO, SuperGen
Una S. Ryan, PhD – CEO, AVANT Immunotherapeutics
Moderator — TBA
2:30 PM Q&A
2:45 PM PRESENTATION
3:00 PM TWST ROUNDTABLE – WALL STREET ASSESSES
• Leading Wall Street professionals examine the
industry, key players and direction.
Dr. Srinivas Akkaraju, PhD – JP Morgan Partners
Franklin Berger – JP Morgan Securities
Carl Gordon – OrbiMed Advisors, LLC
Mary Ann Gray, PhD – Federated Kauffman Fund
Dennis Purcell – Persues-Soros
Biopharmaceutical Fund, LLC
Eric Schmidt – SG Cowen
Moderator — Andrew Pickup, Publisher, TWST
3:30 PM Q&A
3:45 PM NETWORKING RECEPTION – Sponsored by PR21