12th ALIA National Library Technicians Conference (12th ALIA National L)
|Event Date/Time: Sep 09, 2003||End Date/Time: Sep 12, 2003|
|Registration Date: Aug 04, 2003|
|Early Registration Date: Jul 04, 2003|
|Abstract Submission Date: Dec 18, 2002|
the challenges faced by libraries today;
the need to stay relevant to clients and organisations;
adaptability and flexibility in today's work environment;
personal qualities essential for quality client service; and
use of innovation and creativity to provide services in a cost effective manner.
the need to embrace new services, technologies and techniques as the needs of clients change.
Synopsis of daily themes
To reinforce the theme Bridging services - embracing reality and to focus on specific issues, each day of the conference has been assigned a separate and special theme.
Day 1 - Tuesday 9 September, 2003
The Pier - the starting point, the foundation. This day will be devoted to pre-conference activities and networking opportunities.
- Pre-conference activities (focus groups, ALIA sectional meetings)
- Social activities
- Trade exhibition opening
- Official opening of conference/cocktail party/welcome drinks
Day 2 - Wednesday 10 September, 2003
The Arch/Spanning the information gap
This day will look at the "big picture" of customer service.
- customer service in a rapidly changing environment
- customer service policies
- definition of theme,
- importance of customer service,
- library technicians' significance in this role,
- planning of library services
- use of creativity to find innovative solutions to customer service issues
Day 3 - Thursday 11 September 2003
Library technicians provide the strength and support for this "bridge".
This day will focus on career development and the skills and knowledge needed to provide superior service in a dynamic library environment.
- Career development
- Database skills/training
- Effective communication (written and oral)
- Emerging roles/future directions for Library Technician profession
- Further education and training
- IT and information systems skills
- Leading edge technologies
- Project planning
- Public Speaking
- Staff selection/supervision
- Technologies used in new or novel ways
- Workplace Health & Safety
Day 4 - Friday 12 September 2003
Rivets, Nuts and Bolts - Holding it all together.
Library technicians upholding and underpinning customer service in libraries. Embracing reality/getting back to basics.
- Conference organisation
- Education and training for clients
- Graphic design for effective communications/displays
- Internets/intranets/digital information
- Keeping abreast of new products and services
- Literature reviews/reviewing
- Marketing the library to the right people
- Multicultural services
- Problem solving
- Promotion and display
- Relationships with clients/vendors
- Visual auditing