10th Biennial International Gynecologic Cancer Society Meeting
|Event Date/Time: Oct 03, 2004||End Date/Time: Oct 07, 2004|
Edinburgh is a city whose international contribution to medicine began in 1726 with the foundation of a Medical School by the Town Council. From the establishment of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in 1741 to 1800, the number of students enrolled for the anatomy classes rose from 57 to over 400! Many students came from North America, especially Virginia, South Carolina and Pennsylvania. The broad training and great output of the Edinburgh School resulted in Edinburgh graduates travelling to all parts of the world. The American link was the most significant and indeed two Edinburgh medical graduates actually signed the American Declaration of Independence- Benjamin Rush and John Witherspoon.
Surgeons in Scotland, unlike their counterparts in England, were free of the control of the physicians and many Scottish surgeons studied in the great European centres. The Edinburgh College of Surgeons received its Seal of Cause in 1505 when it was necessary for a surgeon to demonstrate proficiency in reading the signs of the Zodiac!
They also had the monopoly to sell whisky - for medicinal purposes!
They were numbered among the craftsmen of the town and this is reflected today in the British surgeons' courtesy title of "Mr".