2nd International Caribbean Symposium in Arts Education: “The Practice & Prospects of Arts Education
|Event Date/Time: Jun 27, 2005||End Date/Time: Jul 01, 2005|
|Early Registration Date: Jan 31, 2005|
|Abstract Submission Date: Jan 31, 2005|
|Paper Submission Date: May 10, 2005|
This International Caribbean Symposium will honour and address the explorations, methods and pedagogical practice that facilitate the acceptance of diversity in human relations within our communities and
• What are the universal elements of perception and communication in Caribbean arts education?
• How can we honour and promote community based, national and regional forms of expressions in arts education?
• How can we build a regional and an international culture of arts education advocacy?
• What are the current social, political, religious, cultural and educational circumstances that shape our specific practices?
• How do we balance the traditional with the innovative?
• How do we facilitate trans-disciplinarity?
Papers or other presentations relating to the Symposium theme: (1.5 hour sessions): An opportunity for participants to address the diverse elements of the Symposium that are subsumed under the general theme; to consider aspects of practice and reflect on theory; to promote and prompt areas for research and practice. Papers are limited to 20 minutes in length so that speakers and audience may have time for conversation.
Workshops (1.5 hours in length - Pre-Symposium or during the Symposium week) - Facilitators will provide participants with an outline of the workshop, details of instruction, and/or additional resources.
Roundtables (1.5 hour sessions): An opportunity for groups of 6 people, each with a 10 minute presentation on some aspect of their theory or practice to share their work with each other and a small audience. An internationally recognized moderator will facilitate and respond to the presentations.
Poster sessions (2 hours) An opportunity for participants to display in visual form their research and/or work. Presenters will be available to discuss their posters for a 2-hour period at a time when all Symposium participants are free to attend.
Another form negotiated with the Symposium director.
To be considered, all proposals must be received on the 2005 International Caribbean Arts Education Symposium Proposal Form.
• The deadline for proposals is January 31st, 2005.
• Notice of acceptance will be sent by March 1st, 2005.
• In order for the Symposium programme to go to press, confirmation of attendance must be received by April 15th, 2005.
• Hard copies or email versions (Microsoft Word) of papers and workshops must be received by May 10th, 2005.