2nd International Conference on Casemix, 6-7 September 2005, Berjaya Times Square Hotel & Convention
|Event Date/Time: May 10, 2005|
|Abstract Submission Date: Aug 15, 2005|
|Paper Submission Date: Aug 15, 2005|
Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Case-Mix Unit in one of its activities plan for 2005 has proposed to conduct an international conference on case-mix system. It is the second international case-mix conference to be held by this unit after the first one which was conducted in 2003 with overwhelming respond and over than expected numbers of participants. This conference is proposed to be organized by Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia in collaboration with Department of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine, UKM and 3M/THIS. The aim of this conference is to introduce and enhance the knowledge of case-mix concept and its role in health care quality as well as resource allocation and control. The target participants are medical practitioners, hospital administrators, policy makers and interested parties from the health service sector.
The theme for this conference is: “MANAGING HOSPITAL COSTS THROUGH CASE-MIX SYSTEM’.
The demand for health care service and medical cost has recently escalated tremendously while the ability for government to bear this increment is limited. Several factors have been identified as the cause of this increment. This includes changes in prevalence and incidence of diseases amongst the population attributed to improved life style and socio-economic status. The discovery of new technologies as methods of treatment leads to cost escalation because these technologies are usually expensive. Advancement in knowledge and social status also cause patients to demand for the best and latest treatment.
The most important approach in dealing with this problem is by introducing an efficient health care financing system at national level that provides the fund for health care expenditure. Effective and efficient health care service will result in good quality service and cost containment. Therefore, an effective and resilient system is important to achieve this target.
Case-Mix System is amongst the best solution in achieving those targets. It is a form of disease classification system that combines type of diseases treated in a hospital with cost of treatment in terms of quality and effectiveness of treatment given. This system can be used to gauge the usage of resources needed to provide health care service in a hospital according to patients’ conditions. It is very appropriate especially in justifying the usage of optimum resources in tertiary care hospitals, which admits more severe cases. At present, the allocations of resources are based on the number of beds and previous resource utilisation without considering efficiency and thus did not contribute to the improvement of hospital efficiency. Therefore, allocating hospital resources using case-mix system according to work-load will ensure all expenses used efficiently and produce a better quality of care.
1. Introduction and dissemination of knowledge on case-mix system and its implementation worldwide as well as its feasibility in Malaysia.
1. To discuss the importance of case-mix as one of the mechanisms of managing costs in hospital administration.
2. To introduce and discuss the experience of case-mix system implemented in the developed and developing countries around the world.
3. To discuss the strategy to improve the case-mix system to be used by the hospital administrator.
4. To introduce and discuss the experience of case-mix system in HUKM.
It is hope that, the conference will provide:
1. Better understanding on the importance of case-mix system as a mechanism in the National Health Care Financing, which will be implemented soon.
2. Better understanding on the usage of case-mix system in managing costs in hospital administration.
3. Increase in knowledge of ICD-10 coding and Procedure coding.
4. Increase in the efficiency of HUKM Case-Mix Unit as a role model for case-mix system in this country.
5. Introduction to the concept of National Health Care Financing which includes deposit contribution aspect, mechanism of payment to hospitals and clinics, monitoring and controlling aspect and etc.
6. Introduction of case-mix system concept used by HUKM to the rest of country and world.