The Third International Conference on Date Palm
|Event Date/Time: Feb 19, 2006||End Date/Time: Feb 21, 2008|
|Registration Date: Feb 01, 2006|
|Abstract Submission Date: Nov 30, 2005|
|Paper Submission Date: Nov 30, 2005|
• Provide an opportunity for updating scientific information on different aspects of date palm production, propagation, protection, and marketing.
• Compare the recent experiences in the United Arab Emirates with those of other date growing countries.
• Foster international technical cooperation on different aspects of date palm production chain.
New Dimensions and Challenges for Sustainable Date Palm Production: From Farm to Fork.
IV. Conference Special Features
A variety of features will make this Conference attractive and innovative:
• Internationally renowned speakers of the highest calibre,
• Senior officials from different date growing countries,
• Wide range of scientific subjects related to all aspects of date Palm Production,
• Scientific input from many countries of the world,
• Innovative approach to scientific sessions,
• Well-Organized exhibition,
• Tours visiting various sites of technical or tourist interest around United Arab Emirates,
• Beautiful country with hospitable and friendly people,
• Excellent weather during this time of the year.
Nearly 175 participants from 35 countries and several international organizations have already confirmed their participation to the Third International Date Palm Conference. Interesting abstracts are being submitted by participants from the following countries : Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, K.S.A, Kuwait, Libya, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Russia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swazi Land, Syria, Tunisia, U.A.E, U.K, U.S.A, and Yemen.
The main topics of the Third International Date Palm Conference can be summarized as follows:
1. Current Status of Date Palm Cultivation in the World
Based on developments and experiences of the UAE and other date growing countries during the last 25 years, the following topics shall be presented:
1.1. UAE date palm cultivation experience;
1.2. Date industry in other date growing countries;
1.3. Impacts of date culture on the environment and desertification control.
2. Date Palm Research and Development.
Articles prepared by imminent scientists and experts on the following subjects will be put forward for discussion:
2.1. Molecular and genetic engineering;
2.2. Germplasm and propagation;
2.3. Improved date palm cultural practices.
3. Date palm protection: focus will be on the most important diseases and pests.
3.1. Major diseases of date palm;
3.2. Major pests of date palm with a special focus on Red Palm Weevil;
3.3. Physiological disorders.
4. Date Palm Processing and Marketing
All harvest, nutritional and commercial aspects from field to consumer table will be presented:
4.1. Post harvest and processing technologies;
4.2. Nutrition and beneficial health aspects;
4.3. Date conditioning and packaging;
4.4. Date marketing and international trade.
5. Date Palm Collaboration
National and regional collaboration projects will be presented as well as the recently established Date Palm Global Network.
Who should attend
The Third International Conference on Date Palm is open to anyone interested in date palm industries. The conference provides a forum for updating on current issue importance to the industry as well as information on new products and services. Participants will be from the public and private sectors who deal with the aspects of the date from producer through to consumers. Examples of the participants are:
• Date Palm Growers
• Executive Management of Grower Organizations
• Market Managers and International Traders
• Scientists of all aspects of Dates and Date Palm Cultivation
• Government Agencies and Departments
• Specialized Research and Development Centres
• Processors and Agro-industrialists
• Suppliers of Packages, Transport Operators, Chemicals, Fertilizers, Planting Material, Farm Equipment and Requisites
• Nutrition Specialists
• Biotechnologists, Regulators and Consumers.