RDI: Going to the Heart of Autism, Jacksonville, Fla. (RDIJacksonville)
|Event Date/Time: Jan 06, 2006||End Date/Time: Jan 07, 2006|
|Registration Date: Jan 02, 2006|
|Early Registration Date: Dec 23, 2005|
People with Autism, Aspergers and NLD learn not only to tolerate, but to enjoy change, transition and to go with the flow. The goal of RDI is for each person to be excited about expanding their world, rather than to be afraid of it. Find out what motivates people on the autistic spectrum to develop relationships. Understand the contrasts between RDI and social skills programs that emphasize socially acceptable behaviors but fail to develop the functions, the desire or reasons, essential to the formation of relationships. RDI is rich in “non-social” objectives, including: flexible thinking, rapid attention shifting, executive functioning and emotional regulation. These objectives are easily translated into specific IEP objectives.
Who Should Attend? If you are a family member, any professional who works with people on the autism spectrum, a researcher or educator, you can gain new insight from attending this two day workshop.
What will the workshop cover?
* Research results on the quality of life for people on the autism spectrum
* The developmental path unique to people on the spectrum: including the concepts of absolute vs. relative thinking, imperative vs. declarative communications, and more...
* The basic principles of RDI: Guiding and Pacing, creating an Experience-Sharing communication environment, capturing episodic memories, choosing simple settings, teaching Functions before Skills, determining developmental readiness, and developing competence
* Video clips of 'RDI in action' with parents and children and clips from the first two years in the life of a child with autism
* The essential elements of a RDI lifestyle
* The importance of frameworks and of the concepts of evolving and modifying frameworks
* The advantages and the processes of forming dyads and small groups
* Research on the effectiveness of RDI
* RDI with teenagers
* RDI implementation in school settings
Agenda: Schedule is the same for both days of the workshop
8:00 am to 9:00 am Check-in
9:00 am to 10:30 am General Session
10:30 am to 10:45 am Brief Morning Break
10:45 am to 12:00 pm General Session
12:00 pm to 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm to 2:30 pm General Session
2:30 pm to 2:45 pm Brief Afternoon Break
2:45 pm to 4:00 pm General Session
4:00 pm Adjourn