Third conference on Water Observation and Information System for Decision Support (BALWOIS 2008)
|Event Date/Time: May 27, 2008||End Date/Time: May 31, 2008|
|Registration Date: May 15, 2008|
|Early Registration Date: May 15, 2008|
|Abstract Submission Date: Jan 15, 2008|
|Paper Submission Date: Feb 15, 2008|
Ohrid - Republic of Macedonia - 27th, 31st May 2008
Following the great success of BALWOIS Conferences in 2004 and 2006 - more than 300 participants, 249 and 304 papers available on www.balwois.net -we have the pleasure to let you know that we are organizing the International scientific conference BALWOIS 2008, that will be held in Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia from 27th to 31st May 2008.
The main objectives of BALWOIS 2008 are to provide at international and Balkan levels:
- a meeting that will further the progress of the knowledge in the fields of Scientific Research, Education, Policy and Development Activities and on all the Water related issues related to climate changes, hazards mitigation and water resources assessment, management and protection,
- an atmosphere to enhance the links between the providers and the end users of water related knowledge,
- a forum for free discussion of new ideas , research, development and applications, including techniques and methods to stimulate future works,
- opportunities for students and young researchers and engineers to meet their experienced peers and to stimulate them to join BALWOIS activities,
- an exhibition of current hardware and/or software in the field of water, and
- new knowledge through the publishing of high quality papers in balwois.net web site and through DVD bundle, books edition, etc.
Topics are related to climate and environmental changes, water resources assessment, management and protection and water related hazards as well. For this third BALWOIS Conference, specific attention will be dedicated to the use of GIS and Remote sensing technologies for sustainable development and more specifically applied to the previous topics.
Ohrid is one of the most welcoming towns of Republic of Macedonia with a very significant cultural heritage. The location of the conference on the shore of Ohrid Lake- 358 km², several millions years old and surmounted by splendid Macedonian and Albanian mountains - is particularly well chosen to work on topics linked with climate change which already affects the balance of the Balkan lakes, protection of the biodiversity against increasing anthropogenic pressures and international shared waters.
The last day - on 31st - a cruise will be organised on Ohrid lake to visit Saint-Naum springs - see pictures here .
All information related to BALWOIS 2008 are on www.balwois.org .
Hoping to see you in Ohrid in May 2008.
1 Balkan Institute for Water and Environment IB2E
2 METEO-MAK (Republic of Macedonia)
With the coorganisation of the Hydrobiological Institute of Ohrid
Saint-Naum Springs flowing to Ohrid Lake