International Conference on Implementing Environmental Water Allocations (IEWA)
Venue: Feather Market Centre
|Event Date/Time: Feb 23, 2009||End Date/Time: Feb 26, 2009|
|Early Registration Date: Jan 15, 2009|
|Abstract Submission Date: Jun 30, 2008|
|Paper Submission Date: Nov 30, 2008|
Port Elizabeth is the start of the beautiful Garden Route, situated on the southern coast of the country.
There will be plenary and parallel sessions throughout with eminent invited keynote speakers to address each topic. There is also a general CALL FOR PAPERS: deadline for receipt of abstracts: 30th June 2008. Abstracts to be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All papers will be subject to peer review by an International Scientific Committee.
There will be half-day for field visits and pre-/ post-conference technical/sightseeing tours are offered.
1. Integrated management and use (surface and ground water, water quality and quantity, biophysical and socio-economic development)
2. Institutional mechanics (from local to international, stakeholder participation, training and capacity building)
3. Decision-making and trade-offs (awareness, policy and logislation, in knowledge-poor environments, balancing development and resource protection, valuating ecosystem services).
4. Delivering environmental water (delivering floods, maintaining variability, constraints and solutions).
5. Monitoring and adaptive management.
1. Identifying and critiquing global trends in the implementation of environmental water allocations
* policy and legislation
* integrating ecosystem protection with socio-economic development
* defining and involving stakeholders
* decision making for sustainable use
* operational management of water allocations
2. Sharing knowledge and skills.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Representatives of municipal, provincial and national water departments, water engineers and managers, water and social scientists, resource economists, representatives of water boards, policy-makers, stakeholders and relevant NGOs.
An exhbition will be held alongside the conference. Exhibition space (3m x 3m) is available on a first-come-first-served basis to manufacturrs, suppliers, consultants and contractors who supply goods and services to the water industry.
There will be an organized sightseeing programme for companions.
A cocktail party and a dinner - included in the registration fee.