Simulation of Multiphysics Multiscale Systems (SMMS-2009)
|Event Date/Time: May 25, 2009||End Date/Time: May 27, 2009|
|Abstract Submission Date: Dec 06, 2008|
|Paper Submission Date: Jan 09, 2009|
Simulation of multiphysics and multiscale systems poses a grand challenge to computational science, with vast applications in chemical engineering, plasma physics, material science, biophysics, aerospace and automotive sectors. Most of the real-life systems involve interactions amongst a wide range of physical phenomena. In addition to that, the time and length scales of the individual processes involved often differ by orders of magnitude. Numerical simulation of these multiphysics and multiscale problems requires development of sophisticated models and methods for their integration, as well as efficient numerical algorithms and advanced computational techniques.
This workshop aims to bring together computational physicists, numerical specialists and computational scientists to push forward this challenging multidisciplinary research field, and to foster cross-fertilization between all fields of applications.
Specific topics include (but are not limited to):
- Modeling of multiphysics and/or multiscale systems. Of particular interest are: Monte Carlo methods, particle-based methods, mesoscopic models such as cellular-automata, lattice gas and lattice-Boltzmann methods, computational fluid dynamics and computational solid mechanics;
- Multiphysics and/or multiscale modeling of biological or biomedical systems. This includes computational models of tissue- and organo-genesis, tumor growth, blood vessels formation and interaction with the hosting tissue, biochemical transport and signaling, biomedical simulations for surgical planning, etc.
- Novel approaches to combine different models and scales in one problem solution;
- Challenging applications in industry and academia, e.g. time-dependent 3D systems, multiphase flows, fluid-structure interaction, etc.;
- Advanced numerical methods for solving multiphysics multiscale problems;
- Problem solving environments for simulation of multiphysics multiscale systems.
Papers of 4 to 10 pages, written in English and complying with the
href="http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,10735,5-164-2-72376-0,00.html" target="blank">LNCS format, should be submitted electronically through the ICCS submission engine.
While submiting please don't forget to select the workshop (last field): SIMULATION OF MULTIPHYSICS MULTISCALE SYSTEMS; and send us a note to SMMS at science.uva.nl
All papers will be peer reviewed. Accepted papers will be published by
Springer in the conference
proceedings in the Lecture Notes in Computer Science series.
The proceedings will be available at the conference.
A selected number of (extended) papers will be invited to the special issue of the
International Journal for
Multiscale Computational Engineering.
|Full paper submission:||January 9, 2009|
|February 2, 2009|
|Camera-ready papers:||February 15, 2009|
|Conference:||May 25-27, 2009|