Event Date/Time: Jun 01, 2009
End Date/Time: Jun 02, 2009
Abstract Submission Date:
Mar 30, 2009
Paper Submission Date:
Apr 30, 2009
The conservation science is a scientific field involving contributions from many and different scientific disciplines. Advanced technologies are being developed for the analytical investigation of objects contributing multivariate data for the documentation or completion of historical and archaeological data. State of the art data and information processing and management systems are solicited to optimally merge and cross-evaluate the information that may be potentially revealed / derived from the acquired and stored pertinent data after the combination of methods and techniques from the different scientific fields. Research work is performed within this field combining optimal data acquisition, processing and management, associated with the development of novel â€“ integrating techniques and methods targeting to a multidisciplinary approach and providing integrated solutions.
The main objective of ArtTech2008 is to bring together experts from the different disciplines working on the documentation and analysis of cultural heritage components. Topics considered include, but not limited to, the following:
- Data acquisition technologies
- Non-Destructive analytical techniques for the study of the composition and decay of cultural heritage components
- Authenticity and authentication of cultural heritage
- Standards, metadata, ontologies and semantic processing in cultural heritage
- Management of heritage knowledge and data
- Visualization for cultural heritage
- Special case studies relating to the technology applied to cultural heritage.
Submission of Papers:
We consider research papers written in English maximum of 6 pages according to the IEEE format
Papers should be sent by email to:
Organizing Committee Chair
Hania Salem, firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper submission: March 20th, 2009
Acceptance notification: April 13th, 2009
Camera ready copy due: April 30th, 2009
To be announced
CULTNAT â€“ Egypt,
Aristotle Univ. of Thessaloniki â€“ Greece,
Reem Bahgat, CULTNAT â€“ Egypt
Georgios Karagiannis, ORMYLIA â€“ Greece
To be announced
Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage (CULTNAT)
28K Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road
No registration fees is applicable
There are several hotels around the Conference venue, in 6th of October City or in Giza that can be booked directly by the attendees or with the assistance of the conference organizing committee.
1. Center for Documentation of Cultural and Natural Heritage (CULTNAT) is affiliated to Bibliotheca Alexandrina and supported by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology. The Center's mandate is to document the various aspects of Egypt's tangible and intangible cultural heritage as well as its natural heritage. This involves the implementation of the national plan of action towards the documentation program, making use of the most up-to-date information technology in collaboration with the national and international specialized organizations. The Center also aims at increasing public awareness of Egypt's cultural and natural heritage using all available media as well as building capacities of professionals in the fields of conservation and documentation of cultural and natural heritage.
2. InfrArtSonic, INCO-CT-2005-015338, aims to develop a novel and integrated non-destructive portable system for the determination of artworksâ„¢ paint layers profile in depth as well as the local distribution of the pigments in each of the paint layers. The system combines two modalities: acoustic microscopy and UV-VIS-nIR-mIR spectroscopy. Data acquired with the two modalities in the same areas of analysis are jointly processed and correlated to trace the depth profile of the paint layers (ultrasound modality) and to map the pigments in each respective paint layer (VIS-nIR-mIR spectroscopy). The final result is reconstructed as a 3D model displaying the paint structure of the artworks in the selected regions of interest of the artwork.
For further Information, please contact:
Hania Salem, Organizing Committee Chair
Tel: +202 35343249, Fax: +202 35392929.