First Year Student Programs Assessment Workshop
Venue: Hyatt Regency Cambridge
|Event Date/Time: Jul 23, 2009||End Date/Time: Jul 24, 2009|
Increased pressure to improve efficiency and accountability are making it necessary for all first year programs to demonstrate their contributions to student learning, retention, and development. First year programming offers a unique opportunity to assess outreach across campus and tie together the educational experience for students with clear, shared goals. A more sophisticated assessment methodology that moves past student satisfaction can help you align programming with these goals and justify departmental expenditures, staffing decisions, and program changes.
Join us to develop a first year student programs assessment plan to take back to your institution.We will discuss key elements of an outcomes-based assessment plan, including:
* Developing learning objectives for first year student programs
* Developing and refining learning outcomes
* Choosing a practical method for collecting data
* Creating measurement tools and identifying indicators of student learning
* Analyzing data
* Making decisions about programmatic changes
* Identifying next steps for creating your assessment plan
Who should attend: Individuals responsible for planning, implementing, and assessing first year programs (including first year seminars, orientation, and first year learning communities) will gain the skills necessary to begin building a framework for an assessment effort on their campus.