|Event Date/Time: Feb 18, 2010||End Date/Time: Feb 19, 2010|
On 14 October 2009, the European Commission published its long-awaited proposal for a Regulation on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and authentic instruments in matters of succession and the creation of a European Certificate of Succession (COM (2009) 154), which aims to help settle international successions involving people living in the EU.
The idea is to provide participants with an in-depth analysis of the possible future European instrument on successions. The objective of the conference is to promote a far-reaching and thorough debate concerning the most important or complex issues inherent to cross-border successions upon death.
The following most topical issues will be on the agenda:
- Scope of the instrument and the exclusion of property rights/trusts
- Freedom to testate of forced heirship?
- Drafting testamentary dispositions, joint wills and agreements as to succession
- Which court is competent to decide cross-border succession cases?
- Scope of the applicable law, including administration and distribution of the estate
- The impact of matrimonial property and the lex rei sitae on inheritance law
- Recognition and enforcement of decisions and authentic documents
- Creation, contents and effects of the European Certificate of Succession