I Conference on Antimicrobial Research (ICAR2010)
|Event Date/Time: Nov 03, 2010||End Date/Time: Nov 05, 2010|
|Registration Date: Oct 07, 2010|
|Early Registration Date: Jul 08, 2010|
|Abstract Submission Date: Jul 22, 2010|
|Paper Submission Date: Nov 30, 2010|
It is in the spirit of this new conference series to attract researchers from a broad range of academic disciplines which are contributing in the fighting against harmful microorganisms, not only those more traditionally involved in this research area (microbiologists, biochemists, genetists, cliniciansâ€¦), but also experimental and theoretical/computational chemists (rational design of antimicrobial compounds, chemical synthesis, analogs, surface modification of materialsâ€¦), physicists (radiation, nano-emulsions (surface tension), ultrasounds, antimicrobial materials, properties of nano-materials...) or engineers (technologies).
SOME TOPICS COVERED:
- Antimicrobial resistance; Superbugs; Multi-resistant strains; Emerging and re-emerging pathogens: Microbial resistance to antibiotics and biocides. Molecular mechanisms. Resistance genes. Prevention of resistance. Surveillance & statistics. Genetics and Proteomics. Emerging and re-emerging bacteria and fungi in humans, animals, and plants. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Vancomycin Intermediate/Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VISA/VRSA), Clostridium difficile, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE), Cryptosporidium, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Acinetobacter baumannii, Cryptococcus, Escherichia coli O157:H7, Helicobacter spp., Enterobacter sakazakii, Serratia spp., Fluoroquinolone-Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa (FQRP)...
- Non-antibiotic biocides; Hygiene and Sterilizing: Disinfectants, antiseptics, preservativesâ€¦ Mechanism of action. Resistance to non-antibiotic biocides. Combination of physical and chemical treatments. Hygiene and Sterilizing. Sanitizers. Regulatory issues. Good practicesâ€¦
- Antimicrobial natural products: Antimicrobial substances from terrestrial and marine organisms. Antimicrobial peptides. Antimicrobial enzymes. Essential oils. Bioactive phytochemicals. Plant/Herbal extracts. Purification. Structural determination
- Antimicrobial chemistry (experimental and computacional): Synthesis and screening of novel chemical compounds for antimicrobial action. Natural, synthetic and semi-synthetic antibiotics. Analogs. Structural determination. Rational design of antimicrobials. In-silico/ab-initio/de-novo antimicrobials discovery. New targets for antimicrobials. Bioinformatics and comparative genomics for the identification of antimicrobial targets. Analytical detection of antibiotics in complex simplesâ€¦
- Antimicrobials in consumer products: Textiles (hygienic clothing, activewear, medical textilesâ€¦), paper industry, active packaging (food industryâ€¦), public buildings (hospitals, schools, restaurants, day care centers, nursing homesâ€¦). Safety and toxicological aspectsâ€¦
- The Intelligent war: Interfering microbe-microbe communication (quorum sensing) as antimicrobial strategy.
- Antimicrobial materials science and surface chemistry; Biofilms: Antimicrobial, anti-adhesive surfaces & coatings. Microbial adhesion to surfaces. Biofouling. Biofilm formation, control and eradication. Novel characterization techniques. Physical and chemical (inorganic (e.g. silver, copper compounds) and organic) surface modification. Cationic surfaces. Functionalization strategies for polymers, metals, metal oxides, ceramics. Drug-eluting concepts. Biofilms susceptibility to antimicrobials. Antibiotic resistance of microorganisms in biofilms. Genomics and Proteomics...
- Antimicrobial microbes: Microbial-derived toxins. Bacteriocins (colicins, microcins, lantibioticsâ€¦). Archaeocins. Biocontrol approach to microbial invasions (probiotics, lactic acid bacteriaâ€¦). Biosynthesis of antibiotics. Genetic and metabolic engineering. Gene regulationâ€¦
- Antimicrobial viruses:
Bacteriophages. Phage therapy and biocontrol in humans, animals (agriculture-farm animals, aquaculture), plants, food industryâ€¦ Materials functionalization with bacteriophages. Using bacteriophages for microbiological detectionâ€¦
- Antimicrobial physics:Exploitation of physical properties for killing/inactivating microbes: surface tension (nano-emulsions), radiation, ultrasounds, temperature, specific properties of nano-materials (nano-particles, nano-tubes/wires, nano-crystals, nano-grained materialsâ€¦). Resistance to physical agentsâ€¦
- Strengthening of innate immune system as antimicrobial strategy: Immunotherapy, immunomodulating agents, cytokines (interleukins, colony-stimulating factors, interferonsâ€¦), hormonesâ€¦ Novel vaccines for preventing or treating diseaseâ€¦
- Techniques and Methods: Susceptibility Testing. Rapid microbial and resistance detection. Detection of antibiotics in environmental samples. Microscopy, microanalysis & spectroscopy, single-cell studies, high-throughput studies, nanomechanical studies, microfluidics, lab-on-a-chip concepts, miniaturized science, analysis of microbial surfaces, heterogeneity, statistics. Interaction of antimicrobial drugs with model membranes. Analytical techniquesâ€¦
CLOSEST KEY DATES:
- 8 July 2010: Deadline for early registration
- 22 July 2010: Deadline for abstract submission
In addition to the oral and posters presentations, a Virtual Participation mode has been established for those researchers who are unable to attend the Conference personally. These participants will be requested to send "virtual papers", which will be exhibited at the online platform for virtual participation. These papers can be prepared using Power Point, Flash or similar software, or video recordings. Please consult the conference website for details.
PRE-REGISTRATION/EXPRESSION OF INTEREST:
To keep you informed about all conference details, you may fill-in the Pre-registration form, which is available at http://www.formatex.org/icar2010/preregistration.php
- Abstract Book: A Book of Abstracts will be produced including all abstracts of works presented in the Conference. Each registered participant will receive a copy at the beginning of the Conference. (It will be dispatched to virtual participants shortly after the conference).
- Proceedings: The conference proceedings will be published as a book entitled â€œScience and Technology against Microbial Pathogens. Research, Development and Evaluationâ€, to be published by an international publishing house (to be announced soon). All details on full paper submission for the book can be consulted in the â€œCall for Papersâ€ section on the conference website.