1st International Conference on Food and Environment - The Quest for a Sustainable Future (Food and Environment)
|Event Date/Time: Jun 21, 2011||End Date/Time: Jun 23, 2011|
The many advances made for over a century in food production have resulted in the possibility of feeding the whole of humanity. These advances have been achieved by the introduction of new work practices and a variety of substances into the food chain, the whole process being affected by other environmental conditions such as contamination of air, water and soil resulting from sources other than agriculture. On the other hand the food production and food processing can have detrimental effects on the environment. Some of the major challenges remain with extensive farming, which though offering higher productivity and larger volumes, should not either compromise the quality of the product or cause suffering in animals.
Given the importance of the problem which affects the whole world population, it is essential to understand the consequences of food production processes and demands of the rising standard of living can have on the food consumed daily by the world population. Of particular importance are the effects on human health and the well-being of the population, as well as the more general issues related to possible damage to the environment and ecology.
Food-related problems, in spite of their importance, have not been sufficiently well discussed in relation to their possible consequences. This conference aims to better understand the challenges faced by society in this regard.
Conference topics include;
- Food processing issues
- Contamination of food
- Pharmaceuticals in food
- Obesity-related issues
- Pesticides and nutrients
- Hormonal effects
- Food and fecundity
- Genetic engineering
- Freezing and thawing
- Heavy metals
- Salination problems
- Transportation problems
- Threshold values
- Modern farming
- Changing climate
- Laws and regulations
- Epidemiological studies
- Water resources problems
- Animal welfare
- Impact of food production on the environment
Benefits of attending;
- Conference papers are peer-reviewed by members of the International Scientific Advisory Committee and other colleagues. Papers are rapidly processed for publication in hard-cover and digital book form. The books are available to delegates at registration and are also widely distributed throughout the world by WITPress.
- Papers are also available in digital format to the international scientific community through the Wessex Institute eLibrary http://library.witpress.com
- Papers presented at Wessex Institute conferences appear regularly in notable reviews, publications and databases.
- The opportunity to present your research within a unique forum and collaborate with experts from around the world.
Delegates attending Food and Environment 2011 will be invited to submit an expanded version of their paper for publication in the International Journal of Safety and Security Engineering or the International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning, associated with the Wessex Institute of Technology.