1st International Conference on Lake Sustainability (Lake Sustainability )
|Event Date/Time: Sep 13, 2011||End Date/Time: Sep 15, 2011|
The management of lakes is facing numerous challenges nowadays, some of them related to natural and many others to anthropogenic causes. Climate change in particular will have serious consequences for lake environments, while manâ€™s increasing demands will require an integrated approach to lake management, considering not only the entire watershed area but also the different socioeconomic and ecological aspects. Any proposed solution will require improvements in ecosystems services, and the development of lake ecosystems. Furthermore, more information needs to be processed and shared regarding lake and habitat restoration and the conference would welcome concrete examples and case studies.
Lake systems are complex and characterized by being in a continuous state of evolution and change. They can be easily disturbed, leading to major ecological or environmental disasters as evidenced by many cases in the past. Their behaviour requires careful analysis before attempts are made to alter existing conditions. Well documented disasters have emphasized the need to consider lake environments in their entirety, applying interdisciplinary approaches.
The conference will deal with all topics related to the behavior of lakes, including physical, biological, pollution, water resources management, socio-economic aspects, restoration and exploitation and many others as given in the conference topics. Because of the complexity of the problems, the list only includes a summary of the most important issues, other topics related to lake sustainability will also be considered.
Conference topics includes;
- Climate change issues
- Integrated socio-economic and ecological aspects
- Lakes drainage and watershed
- Large lakes
- Small lake issues
- Saline lakes
- Floodplain lakes
- Alpine lakes
- Artificial lakes and reservoirs
- Lake management
- Sustainable management strategies
- Lake ecosystems
- Ecosystems services management
- Sustainability and ecological indicators
- Hydrobiological issues
- Water chemistry issues
- Water resources management
- Lakes and agriculture
- Pollution control
- Toxicology and eutrophication studies
- Lake and habitat restoration
- Lakes as features of development
- Leisure and tourism
- Political and international issues
- Case studies
Benefits of attending;
- Conference papers are peer-reviewed by members of the International Scientific Advisory Committee and other colleagues. Papers are rapidly processed for publication in hard-cover and digital book form. The books are available to delegates at registration and are also widely distributed throughout the world by WITPress.
- Papers are also available in digital format to the international scientific community through the Wessex Institute eLibrary http://library.witpress.com
- Papers presented at Wessex Institute conferences appear regularly in notable reviews, publications and databases.
- The opportunity to present your research within a unique forum and collaborate with experts from around the world.
Delegates attending Lake Sustainability 2011 will be invited to submit an expanded version of their paper for publication in the International Journal of Design & Nature and Ecodynamics associated with the Wessex Institute of Technology.