22nd Pacific Science Congress (PSC-22)
|Event Date/Time: Jun 14, 2011||End Date/Time: Jun 18, 2011|
|Registration Date: May 18, 2011|
|Early Registration Date: Mar 31, 2011|
|Abstract Submission Date: Mar 15, 2011|
The Congress provides an interdisciplinary platform for scientists from the region to assess and prioritize issues requiring scientific research; brings together scientists from more remote states; and catalyzes international and cross-disciplinary collaboration and to announce and establish new research initiatives.
The theme of the PSC-22 is: â€œAsia Pacific Science in the 21st Century: Meeting the Challenges of Global Changeâ€. Subthemes of the Congress are:
1. A Changing Climate: Climate science; Physical impacts; Ecosystem responses; Mitigation and adaptation strategies; Climate policies; Vulnerable human populations
2. Global Change & Ecosystems: Biodiversity; Landscape systems; Ecosystem services; Coupled human-natural systems; Invasive species; Museum collections and barcoding
3. Oceans: Coral reefs; Ocean acidification; Large Marine Ecosystems, Marine biotechnology; Fisheries, Marine mammals
4. Earth Systems & Risk Management: Earth science and geophysics; Meteorology; Natural hazards; Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction
5. Globalization: Human populations; Population movement; Urbanization; Megacities; Gender; Economics and trade; Governance issues; Challenges of small island states; Human security; Poverty alleviation
6. Resource Constraints & Sustainability: Millennium Development Goals; Water; Agriculture; Food; Energy; Integrated Coastal Zone Management; Ecological economics
7. Health Challenges: Persistent and emerging infectious diseases; HIV/AIDS; Chronic and lifestyle diseases; Microbiology; Medical tourism; Telemedicine
8. Science for Policy and the Future: Science communication; Science education; Building science capacity; Science and the media; Traditional knowledge; Data access and management; Intellectual property; Universality of science; Frontiers of science (complexity science, materials science, biotechnology)
Congresses are organized by the Pacific Science Association every four years in venues throughout the Asia-Pacific region in cooperation with local institutions. The geographic scope of the Congress is the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean and the islands of the Pacific Basin. Recent Pacific Science Congresses have hosted between 1000-2000 participants from 40 to 50 countries in Asia, the Pacific Islands, Australia/New Zealand, Latin America, North America, and Europe.
The 22nd Pacific Science Congress (PSC-22) will be held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It is organized by PSA in conjunction with the Malaysian Academy of Sciences (ASM), the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, the International Science, Technology and Innovation Centre for South-South Cooperation (ISTIC), and the ICSU Regional Office for Asia Pacific. Supporting organizations include the University of Malaya, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, and Universiti Putra Malaysia.
The call for sessions is now open. If you would like to propose a session, please visit the official Congress website (www.22ndpsc.net) or the PSA website (www.pacificscience.org) for further details.