Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference 2011 (SSEC 2011)
|Event Date/Time: Oct 25, 2011||End Date/Time: Oct 27, 2011|
|Registration Date: Oct 25, 2011|
|Early Registration Date: Jun 24, 2011|
Join us in furthering our collective understanding of the unique and precious ecosystem that is the Salish Sea. Together, we will explore the state of the science, build our management capability, and reinforce our strong foundation of research and policy. The exciting, dynamic program creates opportunities for peer-to-peer interactions, cultural celebrations, knowledge transfer, and practical collaborations. Enjoy workshops, special sessions, field trips, keynote speakers, and other engaging events throughout the conference.
This conference, formerly called the Georgia-Basin/Puget Sound research conference was first co-hosted in 2003, and alternates between British Columbia and Washington State. This year, the conference has been re-named the Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference, which reflects the recent decisions by both the US and Canada to re-name the area and acknowledges the connectivity of the ecosystem and the traditions of the region's Salish peoples.
The conference features a broad range of topics, shedding light on the overall state of the Salish Sea ecosystem and informing management activities in the region. Topics typically include:
* Marine, nearshore, freshwater and terrestrial ecosystems
* Air and water quality as it affects ecosystem health
* Aquatic and terrestrial species and food webs
* Land use, protection, and restoration especially as they relate to growth and development
* Human health and well being
* Climate Change, including its effects on ecosystem processes and human health
* Development and application of decision support frameworks, models and systems to aid ecosystem management.
Conference Location and Dates
The conference will take place at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver, British Columbia over three days, October 25 to 27, 2011 with the possibility of pre-conference workshops.