Event Date/Time: Oct 20, 2011
End Date/Time: Oct 22, 2011
Abstract Submission Date:
Jul 15, 2011
Over the years, UGAT has, through its annual conferences and other special projects, managed to set the stage for multi-sectoral participation in the discussion of compelling social, including political and economic, and cultural issues affecting Philippine society. We realize, however, that making anthropology deeply-engaged and relevant in the public interest arena has not been systematically assessed and may leave much to be desired. Anthropologists have yet to actively forge a theory and practice of public anthropology aimed principally at non-academic audiences, one that upholds the transformative potentials of anthropological knowledge.
We have to begin to ask how the current engagement of anthropologists in the public arena through rights-based advocacy, policy-making, institution building, media presence (e.g., television interviews, writing regular newspaper columns), signing in public statements and manifestos, conducting impact assessments, managing museums and cultural events, blogging, and other means of participating in the public sphere, have contributed to the practice of public anthropology in the Philippines that is simultaneously constructive, collaborative, and ethical.
GUIDELINES ON ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS
* Abstracts should strictly be no more than 250 words.
* Authors must indicate the topical area in which their paper/panel proposals may fall.
* Abstracts should be written in a style that is accessible to non-academic audiences.
* Submissions should include the author's name, institutional affiliation, and contact information (e-mail address, telephone number, and mailing address).
* Abstracts should be sent to email@example.com by 15 JULY 2011.
* For students, please indicate your intent to join the Student Paper Competition. The best entry will be considered for publication in the Aghamtao, the official journal of UGAT.
* For other inquiries, please contact the UGAT Conference Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.