The Pacific Rim International Forum (28th Annual Pacific Rim International Conference on Disability (PAC RIM)
|Event Date/Time: Mar 24, 2012||End Date/Time: May 25, 2012|
Our common visionâ€”that each human being be treated with inherent dignityâ€”is the foundation which inspires and facilitates the meaning of human rights standards, norms and procedures into transformative social change. The codification of rights lays the groundwork to realize an inclusive, equitable and just world; but human action is what makes it happen.
The 2011 Forum seeks to engage participants in a lively discussion on key areas that support and facilitate the realization of fundamental human rights for millions of persons with disabilities, as expressed in the CRPD. This year our discussion will include:
* Partnerships: Collaborative and multi-stakeholder approaches to translate human rights into sustainable policies and services. Discussions will focus on participatory, inclusive and responsive systems of governance using a rights-based approach, development goals, and inclusive educational and employment practices.
* From the Global to the Local: Ways in which advocates, organizations and the legal profession bring â€˜human rights home.â€™
* Gender Equality: Rights based approaches on gender issues. This year we will also discuss the peacekeeping and conflict as it relates to women with disabilities.
* Financial Sustainability: Strategies to expand funding and financial resources for the advancement of disability rights in communities and regions.
* Communication: Best practices to serve as models for promoting disability rights. This could include exposing abuses, a ddressing violations through direct action, coalition building, capacity building, policy/legal reform, media making, and skills building.
* Issue Focus Emphasis on specific articles in the CRPD or issues articulated from a constellation of articles that can serve as best practices for advocacy and legal frameworks.