Handling Supplemental Pay Under the FLSA - Webinar By ComplianceOnline (HR Training)
Venue: Online Event
|Event Date/Time: Mar 22, 2012|
Today's wage and hour environment has become one filled with peril for employers who do not understand how to deal with the Fair Labor Standards Act. The US Department of Labor has stepped up its enforcement efforts by adding investigators, forming an alliance with the American Bar Association in order to refer cases and creating a smart phone application that allows your employees to report their time directly to the USDOL. Wage and hour lawsuits are costing employers into the multi-millions of dollars. Most companies have a basic understanding of how to deal with wages, however, often issues arise when dealing with supplemental pay.
This session will help you understand areas such as when employees have to be paid to get dressed and undressed; when you have to pay them to be on an airplane and when you donâ€™t; what breaks need to be paid and what breaks donâ€™t need to be paid; why you have to pay for breastfeeding; and other areas of supplemental pay. Reduce your chances of being investigated by making sure you pay practices are in compliance.
- Understanding who is a covered employer
- Understanding who is a covered employee
- The basics of overtime
- Handling shift-differentials
- Dealing with On-call time
- Handling meals and breaks
- Why you have to pay for breastfeeding
- Putting to bed the issues of sleeping breaks
- When you have to pay employees for training and when you donâ€™t
- Dealing with the difference between local travel and long-distance travel
- Understanding how to deal with preparatory and concluding activities