Structural Biology in the BioEconomy (SBBE)
Venue: University of Cape Town
|Event Date/Time: Dec 01, 2012||End Date/Time: Dec 04, 2012|
|Registration Date: Dec 01, 2012|
|Early Registration Date: Aug 31, 2012|
|Abstract Submission Date: Aug 31, 2012|
Work in the field of structure determination of protein and macromolecular complexes has made a real and significant impact on:
- The understanding of the mechanism of infection by pathogens
- Structure-guided design of interventions in the form of drugs, and preventative measures such as vaccines, barrier creams etc.
- The design of enzymes to make new industrial chemicals
- The design of novel herbicides and pesticides
- The design of energy efficient industrial processes exploiting engineered enzymes
- The use of engineered enzymes for environmental remediation
- The use of biomolecules and nano-technology to make novel â€œbionanomachinesâ€
- The understanding of biological events so that novel strategies for intervention in human health can be designed and produced or exploited to make new devices.